How to Choose a Neighborhood for Your Home Search
Narrow your home search by identifying neighborhoods that are right for you. This helps keep your search focused and efficient. Your local REALTOR® can offer neighborhood information to guide you in your search.
When evaluating a neighborhood you should investigate local conditions. Depending on your own particular needs and tastes, some of the following factors may be more important considerations than others:
- quality of schools
- property values
- crime rate
- future construction
- proximity to schools, employment, hospitals, shops, public transportation, prisons, freeways, airports, beaches, parks, stadiums and cultural centers such as museums and theaters
Neighborhood Search Strategies for Limited Budgets
If you’re a first time-buyer with limited financial resources, it's wise to buy a home that meets your primary needs in the best neighborhood that fits within your price range. You can maximize your home purchase location by incorporating some of the following strategies into your neighborhood search:
- Upcoming neighborhoods: Look for communities that are likely to become "hot neighborhoods" in the coming years. They can often be discovered on the periphery of the most continuously desirable areas.
Check for planned future development such as additional transit; new community services such as pools and theatres; and chain stores planning to move in.
Look for a home in a good neighborhood that is a bit farther out of the city. If commuting is a concern, purchase a home that is close to public transportation.
- Neighborhood demand: Look at the neighborhood demand by asking your real estate agent whether multiple offers are being made, whether the gap between the list price and sale price is decreasing and whether there is active community involvement. You can also drive around neighborhoods and see how many "sale pending" and "sold" signs there are in a particular area.
- Co-ownership: Look into purchasing a condominium or co-op, rather than a house, in a desirable neighborhood. This way you still may be able to purchase in a prime area that you otherwise could not afford.
W & A Featured Listings
- 11720 S Allegheny Ave, Tulsa, OK 74137
- 4 Beds · 4 Baths · 5107 Sqft
- The current owners had retirement in mind when they built this home & spared no expense on the $150K remodel. They were ..
- 4622 Oak Leaf Dr, Tulsa, OK 74132
- 4 Beds · 5 Baths · 5256 Sqft
- Beautiful two story full brick home near the Oaks Country Club on over an acre that backs to a green belt. $30K in "mark ..
- 12497 S 73rd East Pl, Bixby, OK 74008
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 3461 Sqft
- Incredible quality construction, attention to detail & efficient space planning! Hand scraped distressed hardwoods and b ..
- 32586 Pebble Bch, Afton, OK 74331
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 2815 Sqft
- Beautiful stone home with a spacious deck and fireplace that overlooks the 18th fairway in the Coves Country Club. Most ..
- 201 Lakeview Dr, Sand Springs, OK 74063
- 3 Beds · 4 Baths · 2676 Sqft
- $90K Extreme Makeover!! All new flooring(solid oak & tile), quartz countertops, ss appliances, hardware, lighting, blind ..
- 521 Ramey St, Eucha, OK 74342
- 1 Bed · 1 Bath · 1046 Sqft
- On the water w/ dock & 2 boat slips!! Beautiful 1 story stone home w/ a finished walk-out basement & huge deck w/spectac ..
- 9918 N 38th West Ave, Sperry, OK 74073
- 3 Beds · 3 Baths · 2542 Sqft
- 10 partially fenced Acres, pond, 30x30 shop, park-like setting & detached garage & ranch style home! Safe Room! Quiet Co ..
- 4803 S 189th East Ave, Tulsa, OK 74134
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 2419 Sqft
- Beautiful house w/ $24K in upgrades that include an expanded back patio, prof landscaping, gutters, and lighting. All o ..
- 2707 S 80th East Ave, Tulsa, OK 74129
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 1983 Sqft
- Beautiful move-in ready one story partial brick home, 3 beds plus office! 3 car gar, Barrel arches, bull nose corners, ..
- 13811 S Nyssa Pl, Glenpool, OK 74033
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 1595 Sqft
- Beautiful full brick home w/ almost $50K in updates!! Remodeled bathrooms, kitchen, & new thermal windows, driveway & si ..
- 14507 S 49th West Ave, Kiefer, OK 74041
- 3 Beds · 1 Bath · 2103 Sqft
- 2.44 acres, $80K+ in upgrades: plumbing, electrical, roof, driveway, paint inside & out, storm shelter & POND, & upgrade ..