Take Charge When Buying a Home
If you approach the home buying process intelligently and with confidence, you are much more likely to buy a house you'll be proud to call home.
Approaching the task of buying a home can be overwhelming; there's so much to consider:
- How much house can I afford?
- How can I find the best loan?
- Where will I come up with a down payment, and how much will I need?
- Should I buy a new or resale home, and which will go up in value?
- Should I work with an agent or look at homes on my own?
And these questions are just the beginning. Buying a home is one of the largest financial transactions in your lifetime - do your research so you know what you’re doing.
Here are the two most important things to remember no matter where you are on the road to home ownership:
1. You can and should understand everything that is happening in the home buying process.
There is nothing that is so complex that it can't be easily explained to anyone with average intelligence. Just because you don't apply for a thirty year mortgage once a week doesn't mean you have to take the first one that comes along. You'll need to learn some new terms, apply some new concepts and take the time to understand what you're getting into.
If, at any point, something happens that doesn't make sense to you, simply demand a full and complete explanation. If it still doesn't make sense, seek help from someone you trust like your CPA, your banker or maybe an online real estate columnist.
2. In the world of real estate sales, YOU are the most important person in the entire process.
It's easy to think that everyone else carries more weight than you. The agent talks fast and has an answer for everything. The lender may decline your loan application, and on and on.
But the truth is that you, the buyer, are the one person in the transaction that makes it all happen. If you decide to not buy, the entire process comes to a grinding halt.
So flex your consumer muscle and take command of this process. Surround yourself with a team of professionals that you have confidence in and make them work for you.
Approach home buying with intelligence and confidence, and by doing your homework, and you are more likely to buy a house you’re happy with and to know that you made the right decision.
W & A Featured Listings
- 11720 S Allegheny Ave, Tulsa, OK 74137
- 4 Beds · 4 Baths · 5107 Sqft
- The current owners had retirement in mind when they built this home & spared no expense on the $150K remodel. They were ..
- 4622 Oak Leaf Dr, Tulsa, OK 74132
- 4 Beds · 5 Baths · 5256 Sqft
- Beautiful two story full brick home near the Oaks Country Club on over an acre that backs to a green belt. $30K in "mark ..
- 12497 S 73rd East Pl, Bixby, OK 74008
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 3461 Sqft
- Incredible quality construction, attention to detail & efficient space planning! Hand scraped distressed hardwoods and b ..
- 32586 Pebble Bch, Afton, OK 74331
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 2815 Sqft
- Beautiful stone home with a spacious deck and fireplace that overlooks the 18th fairway in the Coves Country Club. Most ..
- 201 Lakeview Dr, Sand Springs, OK 74063
- 3 Beds · 4 Baths · 2676 Sqft
- $90K Extreme Makeover!! All new flooring(solid oak & tile), quartz countertops, ss appliances, hardware, lighting, blind ..
- 521 Ramey St, Eucha, OK 74342
- 1 Bed · 1 Bath · 1046 Sqft
- On the water w/ dock & 2 boat slips!! Beautiful 1 story stone home w/ a finished walk-out basement & huge deck w/spectac ..
- 9918 N 38th West Ave, Sperry, OK 74073
- 3 Beds · 3 Baths · 2542 Sqft
- 10 partially fenced Acres, pond, 30x30 shop, park-like setting & detached garage & ranch style home! Safe Room! Quiet Co ..
- 4803 S 189th East Ave, Tulsa, OK 74134
- 4 Beds · 3 Baths · 2419 Sqft
- Beautiful house w/ $24K in upgrades that include an expanded back patio, prof landscaping, gutters, and lighting. All o ..
- 2707 S 80th East Ave, Tulsa, OK 74129
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 1983 Sqft
- Beautiful move-in ready one story partial brick home, 3 beds plus office! 3 car gar, Barrel arches, bull nose corners, ..
- 13811 S Nyssa Pl, Glenpool, OK 74033
- 3 Beds · 2 Baths · 1595 Sqft
- Beautiful full brick home w/ almost $50K in updates!! Remodeled bathrooms, kitchen, & new thermal windows, driveway & si ..
- 14507 S 49th West Ave, Kiefer, OK 74041
- 3 Beds · 1 Bath · 2103 Sqft
- 2.44 acres, $80K+ in upgrades: plumbing, electrical, roof, driveway, paint inside & out, storm shelter & POND, & upgrade ..